Updated: Jan 1
2020 – the year that just kept on coming. It took a while, but we are finally here, at the end of what was a more challenging chapter than any of us initially fathomed. While many of the hardships and struggles of the past year stay with us and persist, we can symbolically close the door on 2020 and look forward to a new year filled with hope and prayers for a better future to come. While I can’t promise that 2021 will be a panacea, light switch or cure for all ails, I am hopeful that this coming year will take us closer to a better world.
What can we expect in this 2021 Year of the Hierophant and as the 2020s launch into full swing? Here are just a few of my thoughts, for what it’s worth (I also discuss 2021 in The Tarotology Podcast):
Community. The Hierophant calls on our spirituality but also our sense of belonging to a greater community. It asks us to look to our beliefs, including that key tenet and kindergarten classic: “Love thy neighbor as thyself.” There will be continued and serious soul searching this year on this front.
· Similarly, we can expect a renewed focus on family – not surprising after our dysfunctional Emperor year. Many plans that were put on hold during the uncertainty of 2020 and in the midst of global lockdowns will resume as life can only be put on hold for so long. Expect more marriages, family-planning, honoring those we lost, etc.
· An increased focus on traditions, both reclaiming old ones and embracing new ones. In the forced quarantines, many families bonded in ways they hadn’t in the past due to sheer proximity and the forced “pause” button put on the endless distractions of our modern lifestyles.
· Hard look at our institutions, both what is working and what isn’t. This includes law & order/justice systems, education, religion, computer infrastructure. I imagine we will see more and louder calls (or demands) for reform of broken or corrupt systems. Issues surrounding equity and governmental support, for instance related to food insecurity and shelter/housing crisis, may join the resurgence of protests from last summer thanks to some transits involving Uranus in Taurus.
· During this migration from an earth to air era and with an emphasis on Aquarius for the next couple of years with Saturn and Jupiter currently there and with Pluto set to ingress in 2023 and spend 20 years in the sign, we will focus less on being “grounded” and more on being “mobile” and connected. I imagine we will see even more urgency around bolstering our computer infrastructure in particular; supporting a more transient experience with more contractors, freelancers, remote work, global connection via virtual means but also…
· Data regulation will become increasingly at the forefront of our political conversations.
As I reflect on this unconventional year, I am full of gratitude for the many blessings in my life as well as the spirit of self-sacrifice and agape love witnessed through the collective actions of our first responders, our frontline workers, and all those who put themselves in harm’s way during this year. This is the Hierophant at its best - community and values first.
Whether you braved the stormy seas of 2020 out of a sense of duty, a need to provide for loved ones or sheer necessity and with the full tenacity of the human spirit, I hope that you are able to have a peaceful New Year wherever you are and however you celebrate.
In peace & love,